Thursday, October 01, 2009

My Alter Ego - 1984

In 1984, I was a young stay-at-home mom with two children under the age of 6. My standard outfit was jeans, an oversize t-shirt, and sneakers. But, when perusing fashion magazines, this was the woman I longed to be. This was my alter ego. Powerful, in charge, important, and dressed in beautiful clothes. That's not to say I wasn't important and in charge, but at that time, I often felt like my life was out of control. Who wouldn't with preschoolers underfoot and a household to run? And dressing like she did? Out of the question.

A few short years later, I had started my own business, and this was how I dressed when I traveled to trade shows in New York (I substituted spike heels for the boots and didn't carry a polo mallet). My true self had emerged. Personal style is a huge part of who we are, and dressing in a look that expresses that style gives us natural self confidence.

Who is your fashion alter ego? Have you ever found an image in a fashion magazine and grown into the style as I did? I'd love to hear your story.

Shown above: Navy gabardine blouse and fawn twill skirt by Donna Karan and Louis Dell 'Olio for Anne Klein.